Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Alcohol/Smoking Effects on HIV
Aug 21, 2000

When other professionals are too busy, or have just become a little calloused to OUR need, thank God you are still there, explaining and giving advice that we understand. I've received more info from this site than my doc in 5 years. Thanks so much. I know and have heard from health care professionals that if you are HIV-infected you should not smoke or drink alcohol. However, I read that many HIV patients do just that. Now, I also like a drink now and then, and light one up too. But, I'm afraid, because I don't actually know what it's doing to my body in relation to the HIV. I know that smoking and drinking is bad health, but what effects does it have on HIV and how? What does it do? How serious is it to treatment? Thanks, Andrew

Response from Dr. Cohen

Hey Andrew. Thanks for the compliment about the site - although sounds like you need a better relationship with your own provider...?

As for cigs and alcohol -- we have no specific link of tobacco smoke to HIV replication. As you mention, there are PLENTY of health reasons to not smoke -- including needing good healthy lungs to fight off normal infections, which can only be harder for someone who has HIV. And there are theoretical reasons why smoking would be a bad idea involving the depletion of antioxidants at the cellular level by tobacco, and indirectly allowing HIV to cause more cellular harm since the harm from HIV may involve some of these same pathways. There is likely an important difference in those who smoke an occasional cig once or twice on weekends with a drink versus those who smoke regularly however -- but many find tobacco more addictive than this and don't stop at the one or two now and then...

As for alcohol -- in small amounts it likely does little harm. More than a small amount can be a problem of course -- leading to problems like pancreatitis for those who binge drink, and chronic liver problems for those who drink a lot regularly. Both of these can be complex for anyone with HIV. And some antivirals might particularly interact with alcohol -- and all of them need a healthy liver. But the occasional drink -- whether it be Bud, Cabernet, or Absolut, appears to be a reasonable indulgence for those who indulge.

Hope that clarifies. Cheers.

Previous
Declining CD4 count
Next
copd

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.