Losing hair at rapid rate -- is this HIV related?

I was diagnosed HIV positive two months ago. Since that time I have been losing hair at an astounding rate. I've always had a full head of hair without the scalp visible when combed back. Since my diagnosis, I can't take a shower in the morning without clearing the drain so the tub will drain.

My nurse says this my be stress, but she suggested the doctor test me for a thyroid irregularity. I'm 42, with a viral load of 9,000 and a CD4 of 450. Not on medication yet. What do you think of my thinning forest?

Response from Dr. Pavia

Well, this is an interesting one, although maybe you'd rather not be "interesting" and rather have your hair. There is some feeling that treatment may accelerate hair loss, and I have seen what seems to be accelerated hair loss with indinavir (crixivan). None of this is fully proven, but you are not on treatment yet, so it is not drug related. In the "old days" before we had treatment, we did not see a lot of rapid hair loss, and it was not felt to be a direct effect of HIV.

Thyroid disease is one of the most common medical causes of hair loss (alopecia if you want to use the $10 dollar medical term) and getting thyroid studies is a great idea. Low testosterone levels are common in HIV but it is usually high testosterone that is associated with hair loss. Fungal infection of the scalp can cause hair loss, although it is usually patchy, rather than generalized thinning. Stress clearly causes accelerated but usually temporary hair loss. You have good reason to be under stress.

There are a variety of other treatable causes of hair loss. Dermatologists are usually the most knowledgeable about diagnosing them. Try and get a referral to an HIV-knowledgable dermatologist. If there is no specific diagnosis, you can discuss how you feel about the available treatments, propecia and rogaine with your doc.

Good luck with the forestry

ATP

Andrew T. Pavia, M.D.

dosage of amprenavir and ritonavir
alternative treatments for K.S.