HIV meds other inhibitors/ smoking

I am currently taking Combivir and Viracept and also am a heavy smoker. I want to quit but I think I might need some help from meds. With the HIV meds that I am currently on is it safe to take other inhibitors such as Zyban or is it safer to use the patch system? Please help!!!

Response from Dr. Stryker

Quitting tobacco is a great idea, one of the best things you can do to increase your overall well-being. It is not clear, as we once thought, that smoking necessarily increases your risk of HIV progression. But it is still very important to stop, for all the other reasons you are no doubt aware of already.

But it is tough! To succeed, you must be really motivated. Patches, or other nicotine replacement systems like gum or nasal spray, can help, but don't smoke if you use these. A prescription medicine (Zyban) is available, but it's use must be monitored by a physician. The medicine is the same as a commonly used antidepressant, and with careful monitoring and screening you should be able to use it. There is a small risk of seizure -- be sure to discuss this and other possible side effects with your doc. Best, RAS

Rick Stryker, M.D., M.P.H.

treatment options to d4t/ fat wasting
ULTRAVIOLET BLOOD IRRADIATION THERAPY