HIV and Hepatitis B

I have been coinfected with HIV and Hepatitis B, I guess at the same time, and very recently.I have had a symptomatic Hep B about 3 months ago. My recent follow-up analysisstill gives HbsAg positive, although anti-Hbe has appeared, and my liver-enzymes are back to normal levels.I wonder if this coinfection will complicate the future development of HIV?Can you throw any light?Thankyo

Response from Dr. Cohen

The fact that you had symptomatic hepatitis makes it less likely that you will develop chronic hepatitis B, which does seem to be somewhat more common among HIV-infected individuals. Furthermore, the development of anti-HBe antibodies and the normalization of your liver function tests are also very good signs. If you continued to have HBsAg six months after infection, there would be cause for concern, but since only three months have gone by, it's much too early to say that this is chronic.

At this point, there isn't much to do but to follow your lab tests and wait for the loss of the HBsAg and the development of HBsAb, which will mean that you have cleared the infection. Should that happen, and it looks like the odds are in your favor, there should be no reason to worry about hepatitis complicating your HIV infection.

recent HIV+ brother
Early Symptoms