Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

2 regime only
Sep 10, 2001

Doctor! how are far can 2 drug regime (2 NRTI only) last before the drug resistance forms? Because in a poor country like our peolple cannot afford the recommended doses of 3D-regime. Can HAART be of 3 NRTIs instead of 2 NRTI - 1NNRTI or 2NRTI - 1 PI? Or can it be of 4 NRTI?

Response from Dr. Aberg

There have been several studies demonstrating that combination therapy with two nucleosides (NRTI)and a protease inhibitor(PI) is better than 2-NRTIs alone. By better, I mean that more people achieved undetectable HIV viral loads in their blood and it stayed undetectable for a longer time. There are also studies showing that 2-NRTIs and a non-nucleoside (NNRTI) may be as potent as 2-NRTIs and a PI. And as you suggest, even 3 NRTI's. I have not heard about using 4-NRTIs and I would be concerned about side effects from using 4 together.

You are from a country that cannot afford to give everyone with HIV triple therapy. I will not get into the politics here but I do think 2-NRTI's is a potential option in countries with limited resources. No, it is not ideal but we also have seen studies in which up to 60% patients had low to undetectable viral loads for 1-2 years. There are always exceptions and I think many USA providers still have patients on 2-NRTIs because the patients want to stay on that combination and they are doing well. I have a few patients who have been on 2-NRTIs for several years and have totally suppressed virus. Until better and more cost effective therapy is available, 2-NRTI therapy may be a reasonable alternative. This therapy will prolong life and reduce illness in the short run until better alternatives are available. There is a risk of resistance. The most important advice I can give you is that if you do decide to take 2-NRTIs, make sure you take your medicine all the time. The most common cause for treatment failure is missing doses.

Previous
is cereal enough?
Next
A cure for HIV infection and AIDS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.