my sister is in the final stage

my sister has been hiv+ for about 11 years now. I am not sure when she became full blown, but within the last year she has been going down hill fast. She has a brain lesion and has recently suffered a stroke that has left her parylzed on her right side. The nurse that has been taking care of her has commented that it is like taking care of a big baby, she has also lost 52lbs in the past 4 weeks. I would like to know how much is she likly to suffer and what more my family and I can expect to see her go through. Are brain lesions common or rare? I have so many more questions that have gone unanswered by her pcp but they are just to many to ask at this time.

Thank you,

Response from Dr. Currier

I am sorry to hear abou your sister. think the most important thing at this point is to be sure she is getting adequate pain medication and that she is comfortable. Brain lesions can be caused by a number of different things, toxoplasmosis (an infection) and lymphoma are the most common causes. These occur in people with advanced HIv infection. given what you say about her current condition it sounds like your sister may not have much longer. I hope they are able to make her comfortable and to answer some of your questions.

-JC

Correlation between ARS and AIDS progression?
HIV life@death analogy