Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

my sister is in the final stage
Jan 29, 1998

my sister has been hiv+ for about 11 years now. I am not sure when she became full blown, but within the last year she has been going down hill fast. She has a brain lesion and has recently suffered a stroke that has left her parylzed on her right side. The nurse that has been taking care of her has commented that it is like taking care of a big baby, she has also lost 52lbs in the past 4 weeks. I would like to know how much is she likly to suffer and what more my family and I can expect to see her go through. Are brain lesions common or rare? I have so many more questions that have gone unanswered by her pcp but they are just to many to ask at this time.

Thank you,

Response from Dr. Currier

I am sorry to hear abou your sister. think the most important thing at this point is to be sure she is getting adequate pain medication and that she is comfortable. Brain lesions can be caused by a number of different things, toxoplasmosis (an infection) and lymphoma are the most common causes. These occur in people with advanced HIv infection. given what you say about her current condition it sounds like your sister may not have much longer. I hope they are able to make her comfortable and to answer some of your questions.

-JC

Previous
Correlation between ARS and AIDS progression?
Next
HIV life@death analogy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.