THE LAW

IF SOMEONE IS HIV POSITIVE, WILL THEY DEVELOP AIDS? I HAVE HEARD OF SOME NEW RESEARCH THAT SAYS SOMEONE THAT IS HIV POSITIVE MAY NOT NECESSARILY DEVELOP AIDS AND THEIR LIFE SPAN IS NOT REDUCED?

Untreated, the vast majority of persons infected with HIV will develop AIDS. In the developed world, this situation happens with far less frequency. The typical person in my practice who is diagnosed early in the natural course of HIV disease is actually unlikely to develop AIDS. Life expectancy is difficult to accurately predict, though I generally say that such persons should live for many decades, provided that they get excellent health care and laboratory monitoring.

I Sent My Pills on Vacation!
follow-up on Raynaud's phenomenon question