Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura

I have been on an experimental drug developed by schering, it is called SCh 5659-2. I have just been told that they are recalling it because of something called TTP, (thrombotic Thrombcytopenic Purpura) I cannot find any information relating to this, although i did find ITP. I would like more info on this as even my doctors won't detail what this is for me

Response from Dr. Pavia

TTP or thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura is a syndrome, or collection of findings. It consists of fever, severely low platelet count, and involvement of other organs, usually the brain and kidneys. It can be severe, even fatal. Treatment involves something called plasmapheresis, a device that essentially removes your plasma and replaces it with saline. You could read more about it on some of the general medical sites like the Mayo clinic site. It is rare. There are a number of things associated with it, including certain kinds of chemotherapy, infection with E. coli O157:H7, and even pregnancy. A few drugs have been possibly associated with it, but often the association is not completely clear.

Hope this helps

ATP

VIDEX
Can meds be blenderized ?