Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

VIDEX
Jul 29, 2001

Docs, am supposed to start taking videx in capsule form, i was taking the tablet one which was really a burden i believe, having all those large tabs five of them, at once wasnt easy. i take it with viracept and zerit, now my doc recommends that i take the videx BEFORE meal, that is maybe an hr before meal, so i decided to be taking it before dinner since in the morning i cannot manage to wake up 1 hr before breakfast, and lunch am always out. but i have seen also that before dinner sometimes is not convenient for me, can i change and be taking this videx after dinner and that is abefore i go to bed? ofcourse that can be an hour or so after my dinner, is it okey? and what are the dangers of taking videx at closer times with the other drugs i have mentioned? thanks in advance.

Response from Dr. Pavia

Videx EC, the capsule form, has been a great improvement for many people. It is ideal to take it on an empty stomach, which could be an hour before dinner or at bedtime. However, the effect of taking it with food is to reduce the amount absorbed by 18%. This is a degree of change that is less than we usually worry about. Therefore, I often tell patients that the key thing is to remember every dose. If this means that taking the videx at dinner with your other meds will mean you don't forget, it is a reasonable trade off. Good luck

ATP

Previous
Exspectations
Next
Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.