Jul 22, 2001
Dear Mr Young,
Can you ever see an end to this epidemic? either by a cure or vaccination, anytime between now and 5 years?
| Response from Dr. Young
Thanks for your question.
Sadly, I don't see any immediate or intermediate end to the HIV/AIDS epidemic. Clearly treatments are not a cure, but have improved the quantity and quality of life for those infected; but nearly 95% of the infected population lives in locations where access to these treatments are not available.
Vaccination approaches have shown some recent, very preliminary data that have been encouraging in non-human primates (monkeys). The translation of this data into either a therapeutic or protective vaccination will take many years of difficult research.
I hope this answers your question. BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Blood In Semen After Mutual Masturbation Worried I Have HIV
- Burning Penis After Getting Head Worried I Have HIV
- Burning Urethra After Touching Dried Semen Worried I Have HIV
- Swollen Glands After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Worried I Have HIV
- Vomiting After Rimming Worried I Have HIV
- White Bumps On Penis After Vaginal Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.