question about reproduction

Now that HIV isnt a death sentence, and we can treat it more like a cronic illness and live maybe a long and normal life. My new wife would like to know if there is a way we could have a child together. I'm HIV she's not. On my current meds I'm undectable is there a way we could be able to have a baby or is that something that is still to dangerous? thanks.

Response from Dr. Currier

The issue of having a child when you are seropositive and your partner is negative is a very real problem. I do not think there is information to suggest that it would be safe to have unprotected intercourse since there may still be HIv in the sperm. There is a group in Italy that has been doing sperm washing in this situation with very good results. In fact there was a whole series of questions about this earlier this year that should still be posted. I do not know of any physicians in the US that are doing this procedure currently. I hope you ae able to find the earlier questions and responses on this issue. You need to consider all of the issues, other options ( donor sperm ) risks and benefits before deciding on the best way for you and your wife to start a family.

-Judith Currier, M.D.

Menopause & HIV
Breast Augmentation