Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Protease Inhibitors - Do They Work?
Aug 3, 1996

My lover has been HIV possitive for the last six years. On his last Doctor's appointment his T-Cell Count was way down. He is the healthiest he has ever been, feels great, but has been under some stress as of the last few months. Could this be the cause for the low T cell count? Also,his doctor has put him on Protease Inhibitors. I understand that thereis a lot of optimism about these, but are they really working? He will start using them within the next month, should I be optimistic?

Response from Dr. Cohen

The reason for the optimism surrounding protease inhibitors is that they work very well, and the more we learn about them, the more enthusiastic we become. Data from the Vancouver conference clearly show that the protease inhibitors not only produce profound drops in viral load and elevations in T-cell counts, but that those changes last for a long time. We don't know the duration of that benefit yet, because they haven't been around long enough. But in theory if you can suppress viral replication to the degree that protease inhibitors do, then mutations will not occur, which means that resistance will not develop, which ultimately means that the benefit of the drugs should be long-lasting.

Of course, as I've said before, the protease inhibitors only work well when they're used properly. That means that they should always be used in combination with nucleoside analogs, preferably nucleosides that the patient has not been on before. Using them with the same drugs you've been on for years is essentially the same as using them alone. The benefit in such cases will be extremely brief. Protease inhibitors need to be taken at full dose and with almost religious regularity. Missing doses frequently or taking less than full doses will lead to the rapid development of resistance, which means drug failure.

Previous
"Storage of Ritonavir?"
Next
TAKING CRYXIVAN ALONE

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.