new proteus inhibitor by glaxo/welcomb

I recently went to a support group meeting with my boyfriend who is + We were discussing the new proteus inhibitor by glaxo/wellcomb that no one knew the name of . Could you please list the name of the medication and send any information that I may share with others. Thank you!

Response from Dr. Cohen

I don't believe that the Glaxo-Wellcome protease inhibitor has a real name yet; for now it's known as either 141W94 or VX-478, the name that Vertex gave it when they first developed it. In early Phase I studies it was well-tolerated, the main side effect being rash. It appears to be well-absorbed, and may have a resistance profile that is different from other protease inhibitors.

There is some question as to whether it might penetrate the brain better than other protease inhibitors, but that question is still up in the air. As for effectiveness it's still too early to say, but in the small early trials it looked good in that it lowered viral load and raised CD4 cell counts the way a protease inhibitor should. Larger trials should be starting soon, if they haven't already.

Protease inhibitor funding in New Zealand
norvir + invirase the best posology ?