crixivan and kidney trouble

Dear Dr. Gallant, Thank you for providing such a wonderfully needed service. I am a 39 old PWA female, infected since 1984. Five weeks ago, I had a T-cell count of 152 and viral load of 50,000. I began taking Crixivan, 3TC and d4T. I have faithfully drank 64-80 ounces of water daily. Last week I developed kideny pain (on one side) and blood in my urine. I had a urine culture that came back negative. I am taking Bactrim for PCP prevention, and added a 7-day prescription of Cipro as my physician says I can have an kidney infection even though the culture was negative. My question is, could the blood in my urine and pain in my kidney be a side effect of the Crixivan (kidney sludge), and, if so, is there anything I can do to prevent it's reoccurance?

Response from Dr. Gallant

If you have flank pain and blood in your urine (and are not having your period)you may have a kidney stone (or kidney "sludge"). It's also possible that you had a kidney infection but that the Bactrim prevented the bacteria from growing in the culture.

You didn't say whether you're better now. If you had a stone and it passed then you can probably continue taking your Crixivan and drinking your 1.5 - 2 quarts of water per day. If you're still having pain, it might be necessary to have a study (ultrasound or IVP) to see what's going on and to make sure there's no obstruction. It is sometimes necessary to stop Crixivan temporarily in cases where you have a stone that isn't passing.

gastrointestinal problems with ratonavir & Saquinavir
Protease Inhibitors and Pregnancy