protease inhibitors and children

Have protease inhibitors been approved for children with HIV yet? Are they as effective in children as in adults? I know some kids who were part of a trial study on protease inhibitors and had good results.. but I know other kids who are in foster homes and on public healthcare and probably have no chance of getting these drugs. Also, what's the life expectancy of a perinatally infected child who had made it to the age of 11? she is already on medication.

Response from Dr. Cohen

The protease inhibitors are not yet approved for children, but they are widely used. Ritonavir is available in a liquid formulation that I'm told tastes pretty nasty. Nelfinavir will be available in a powder form that I'm told will taste ok and can be mixed with just about anything. There are no preparations of indinavir or saquinavir that can be easily taken by kids.

Even if I were a pediatrician, I'd probably be unable to answer your last question without knowing more about the CD4 cell count and viral load.

Is Viracept next?
liver metabolism and protease inhibitors