Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Viracept...eating and timing???
Apr 7, 1997

Doctor, if I were a patient of yours and was going to start Viracept today how would you advise it be taken? How much food (calories-fat), and how close to the 8hr. timing (evening dose-morning dose)...what is acceptable??? I've read the package insert and have heard several other opinions on line. Every 8hrs. with a meal (500-700cal, 150-300fat), I certainly can't do that in the morning or evening, I've tried for 9 days. I eat the above, take the Viracept 8am and either diarrhea within 10 min. or I force myself to hold out for an hour or two. 2-3pm can eat the above with little problem. 8-9-10pm eat the above ok but awake at 5-6am, diarrhea and feeling like crap and then comes 8am and still feel like crap. Bob

Response from Dr. Cohen

Bob, Viracept (nelfinavir) stays in your blood a lot longer than indinavir (Crixivan), so the every 8 hour dosing is probably not as necessary. It should be taken three times a day with meals, and as long as the spacing is reasonable, it doesn't need to be exact.

The drug is well-absorbed regardless of how much fat you eat, though you may find that certain foods may decrease the diarrhea. Imodium or Lomotil can help. You might also try Metamucil or Citrucel.

Previous
Saquinavir & grapefruit juice
Next
Nelfinavir -v- Nelfinavir/Saquinavir Combo

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.