Viracept...eating and timing???

Doctor, if I were a patient of yours and was going to start Viracept today how would you advise it be taken? How much food (calories-fat), and how close to the 8hr. timing (evening dose-morning dose)...what is acceptable??? I've read the package insert and have heard several other opinions on line. Every 8hrs. with a meal (500-700cal, 150-300fat), I certainly can't do that in the morning or evening, I've tried for 9 days. I eat the above, take the Viracept 8am and either diarrhea within 10 min. or I force myself to hold out for an hour or two. 2-3pm can eat the above with little problem. 8-9-10pm eat the above ok but awake at 5-6am, diarrhea and feeling like crap and then comes 8am and still feel like crap. Bob

Response from Dr. Cohen

Bob, Viracept (nelfinavir) stays in your blood a lot longer than indinavir (Crixivan), so the every 8 hour dosing is probably not as necessary. It should be taken three times a day with meals, and as long as the spacing is reasonable, it doesn't need to be exact.

The drug is well-absorbed regardless of how much fat you eat, though you may find that certain foods may decrease the diarrhea. Imodium or Lomotil can help. You might also try Metamucil or Citrucel.

Saquinavir & grapefruit juice
Nelfinavir -v- Nelfinavir/Saquinavir Combo