soft gel form of saq

Dr. Gallant, do you know when the soft gel formulation of saquinavir is going to be available, and exactly what difference/significance, if any, will this new form make? Will it decrease side effects, improve absorption, or what? Thanks! Carl

Response from Dr. Gallant

Carl, I'm sure that the new formulation will be available sometime this year, but I can't be more specific. The point of the soft-gel capsule is to improve absorption. The bioavailability of the current formulation is about 4%, meaning that 9% ends up in the toilet. The new formulation will do better, though I'm told that bioavailability will still be only about 12%, and you'll still have to take a hefty number of pills.

SAQUINAVIR GELCAPS
Beer and Indinovir