Viracept/Saquinivir ALWAYS better than just Viracept?

Dr. Gallant: In a couple of your answers you've said that Viracept (as well as Ritonivir) greatly strengthens the otherwise weak Saquinivir against HIV in combo therapy with nukes. My boyfriend just got d4T/3TC +Viracept prescribed to him as his first-ever treatment regimen. So I have to ask: Since he wants to be aggressive and experience fewest side effects (doesn't everyone?) wouldn't it be obvious that he should also take Saquinivir with that combo, since it's supposedly is well- tolerated, too. My fear is if he doesn't do it now, he won't be able to combine Viracept and Saquinivir (the best-tolerated PI's) later.

Response from Dr. Gallant

Nelfinavir (Viracept) does not "greatly strengthen" saquinavir (the way ritonavir does), but it does modestly enhance saquinavir levels. While with ritonavir you can take reduced doses of saquinavir, the same is not the case with nelfinavir--you still have to take a lot of pills.

The combination of nelfinavir, d4T, and 3TC is an aggressive combination. If it's taken correctly you could get a very long-lasting benefit with that regimen. Adding saquinavir may or may not help. On the one hand, it may provide even greater antiretroviral potency and a longer duration of action. On the other hand, it will certainly involve lots more pills and possibly more side effects.

Furthermore, saquinavir may still work after nelfinavir fails, so it may be a question of whether you want to throw everything in at once, or save some for later.

Confused about how to take Viracept
High Triglycerides & HIV