A possible side effects of protease inhibitors is diabetes

I am a case manager and RN of HIV/AIDS individuals. Recently one of my clients has developed diabetes since starting Crixivan in Janaury 1997. On Thursday of last week, (June 9-14)I heard a news story regarding that diabetes may be a side effect of the protease inhibitors. Is this true? And want additional information do you have on the subject?

Response from Dr. Cohen

I'm amazed at how much publicity this report is getting. People who'd never even heard of protease inhibitors know that they cause diabetes. If only HIV prevention eductation could get this much press!

Diabetes has been reported in people taking protease inhibitors. How it happens isn't known--it's not even entirely clear that the protease inhibitors are causing it, though I suspect there is a relationship. However, it's certainly not common, and certainly not a reason not to use these live-saving drugs.

How strict is Viracept dosing schedule?
Severe reactions to Crixivan?