PROTEASE INHIBITOR TREATMENT

I AM HIV POSITIVE, WITH A CD4 COUNT OF 394 AT LAST READING. MY DOCTOR HAD HAD ME ON 400 MG OF RITANOVIR AND 800 MG OF SAQUINAVIR. HE LATER DECREASED MY DOSAGE TO 200 MG OF RITANOVIR AND 400 MG OF SAQUINAVIR. SINCE THIS DECREASE IN DOSAGE, MY VIRAL LOAD HAS INCREASED FROM BELOW DETECTABLE LEVELS TO 634. I AM ALSO TAKING 3TC TWICE DAILY. ALL MY RESEARCH INDICATES THAT RECOMMENDED DOSAGE OF PROTEASE INHIBITORS IS 1200 MG DAILY. COULD MY RISE IN VIRAL LOAD BE DUE TO THE DECREASE IN PROTEASE INHIBITORS AND SHOULD I DISCUSS WITH MY DOCTOR INCREASING MY DAILY DOSAGE OF PROTEASE INHIBITOR?

Response from Dr. Cohen

The usual doses when combining ritonavir and saquinavir are 400 to 600 mg of ritonavir twice daily plus 400 mg of saquinavir. When you use only 200 mg of ritonavir it may be enough to help increase saquinavir levels, but it's certainly not enough to allow ritonavir to do any antiviral work of it's own. At that dose, ritonavir is sort of like an expensive form of grapefruit juice--something to help get the saquinavir levels up.

Since your viral load has gone up after you made that dose change, I would definitely be worried about getting inadequate drug levels. You should definitely talk to your doctor about changing to a more standard regimen, especially since once you become resistant, it will be too late.

Crix Resistant
two Protease drugs