AM I LETTING MY GUARD DOWN?? - KS

Hi Dr. Squires, I thank you in advance for any advice you can give, you have already helped me in the past. This is my question. Tested (+), 10/99. I monitor my numbers at least every 4 months and they are stable at CD4=23, VL 35K (PCR), CD4 count 500's. I have never had an OI, and I have never taken antiretrovirals....I feel great and I am in good health (I think), but I have been worried about this: I have very swollen lymph nodes on the back of my head (4cm?). This is NOT new, in fact it was their discovery that prompted me to get tested in the first place. They have not changed in any way since...and they do not bother me, they're just there. Is this simply a manifestation of HIV, or could it be a malignancy or something else I am letting go unchecked??

Thanks! S. in Arizona.

Response from Dr. Aberg

Dr. Squires has started a new job and is no longer answering questions. I know this was asked awhile ago and hopefully you have talked to your doctor. Swollen lymph nodes are quite common in HIV especially those in the neck. Lymph nodes can also be swollen for other reasons including infections and malignancies. If you notice a lymph node(s) getting bigger, you should always have your doctor examine them.

medication adherence
Total Lymphoid Irradiation