Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

AM I LETTING MY GUARD DOWN?? - KS
Jun 21, 2001

Hi Dr. Squires, I thank you in advance for any advice you can give, you have already helped me in the past. This is my question. Tested (+), 10/99. I monitor my numbers at least every 4 months and they are stable at CD4=23, VL 35K (PCR), CD4 count 500's. I have never had an OI, and I have never taken antiretrovirals....I feel great and I am in good health (I think), but I have been worried about this: I have very swollen lymph nodes on the back of my head (4cm?). This is NOT new, in fact it was their discovery that prompted me to get tested in the first place. They have not changed in any way since...and they do not bother me, they're just there. Is this simply a manifestation of HIV, or could it be a malignancy or something else I am letting go unchecked??

Thanks! S. in Arizona.

Response from Dr. Aberg

Dr. Squires has started a new job and is no longer answering questions. I know this was asked awhile ago and hopefully you have talked to your doctor. Swollen lymph nodes are quite common in HIV especially those in the neck. Lymph nodes can also be swollen for other reasons including infections and malignancies. If you notice a lymph node(s) getting bigger, you should always have your doctor examine them.

Previous
medication adherence
Next
Total Lymphoid Irradiation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.