Anal Sex

Dear Dr. Gallant: I am a male who recently had 30 seconds of anal sex with a prostitute. I was wearing 2 condoms and was very careful to clean up afterwards. However, I noticed what appeard to be a wound from my zipper on my penis. The wound did not appear to be fresh (no blood) and I could not get it to bleed to test how recent it was. Also, during sex, the wound appeard to be covered by the condom as the wound was about 1 inch from the end of my penis. Question - risky was this act in terms of contracting HIV in light of the wound? Also, does vaginal or anal fluid contain more HIV in an infected individual? Is the risk of transmission from an infected female to a male greater for the male with vaginal or anal intercourse with the female? Thanks,

Response from Dr. Gallant

The risk to a male from insertive intercourse is fairly low regardless of whether you're talking about vaginal or anal intercourse. When condoms are worn, it becomes even lower. Having open sores on the penis make intercourse riskier, but that risk is diminished by the use of condoms.

These are generalizations. I can't be more specific about your particular exposure.

Facts: Food prepared by HIV + persons
fingering/sweating