Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV-positive: Safely FATHER children? and related questions
Nov 29, 1996

A good friend of mine recently tested positive for HIV. In addition to worries about his own health, he's devastated that he can now never safely father a child. So I pose this question to you: If he undergoes therapy with protease inhibitors that successfully reduces the HIV in his body to below detectable levels -- as has been done in many people -- then would it at all be possible for his semen to be free -- or free enough -- of the virus to safely father a child through artificial insemination? And if the virus cannot be reduced in his body, can his sperm be "cleansed" of it in a lab setting before artificial insemination? Can HIV exist within individual sperm cells, or only in the semen that carries them? If it's not acutally in sperm cells, couldn't they be separated and considered safe for reproduction? Thanks for your thoughts on this very complicated issue!

Response from Dr. Cohen

I have been sitting on these three questions for awhile, trying to find an answer but without success. I have heard this subject discussed at meetings, but have not been able to find out who might be doing this kind of thing in the U.S. Perhaps I can do what Dear Abby does, and ask my readers if they have any information.

I would just speculate that it while it might be possible to reduce the risk of transmission to the mother, it would probably not be possible to make it completely risk-free.

Previous
Accessing treatment at HIV clinics
Next
Parotid glands

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.