Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

BEST PLACE TO GO FOR TREATMENT OF HIV
Dec 19, 1996

YOUR REPLIES AND EFFORTS AT THIS WEB SITE IS REALLY AN ANGELS JOB!! i am a PWA living in INDIA.which treatment centre do you suggest is the best or one of the best for hiv treatment in the east coast of america.. i want to come to states for treatment and was suggested the john hopkins hospital in baltimore as one of the best... you yourself are associated with it...so please guide... i have a cd4 count of 307...i have not taken any anti viral drugs whatsoever-- i got into this IMMUNEX /LIVZON/kemron STUFF of the so called ayurvedic drugs, which as confirmed by all studies are useless..so am practically on no treatment have had no viral load test... 6 months back my cd4 count was 220 after taking homeopathic treatment and ayurvedic treatment of immunex now after six months my cd4 is 307..but as the studies of immunex have shown cd4 count initially rises then returns to normal.. so i cant rely or feel good about this... so please guide :is this the right time to start combo therapy... i have had tubrculosis earlier ,took treatment ,am cured of it now.. i frequently develop thrashes in mouth..with 101-102 fever... do i have any other option but to start combo therapy... doctors here discourage starting on azt etc due to toxicity problem/side effects.. i am all confused please guide so that i can make up my mind for treatment thanking you.

Response from Dr. Cohen

HIV is a chronic disease that requires regular treatment on an ongoing basis. Therefore, while it's possible to travel half way around the world to get an opinion, I'm not sure if it's the best option. I think that you would be better off trying to find out where you can get good care in India.

Large referral hospitals like Johns Hopkins do see patients from all over the world, including people with HIV infection who come here for an evaluation. Obviously, we cannot provide primary care; all we can do is offer an opinion. At Hopkins, the International Patient Affairs Office, at 410-955-8032, can arrange such a visit if you think that's what you need. But that's an expensive option, and you'll still be left without medical care that you're happy with in your own country. Keep looking!

Previous
Precautions for Travelers
Next
HIV Positive and Surgery

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.