Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Newborn Exposure to HIV
Dec 23, 1996

Hello. My husband and I are adopting a baby girl, 34 weeks gestation, healthy at birth, no abnormalities noted or present at this time, cultures neg, toxicology neg, herpes neg. Mom was HIV positive possible PCP dx, prolonged rupture of membranes >12 hrs, Herpes pos. AZT givin during last weeks of pregnancy, during delivery and imediately at birth. Can we get her tested for the antigen not antibody? what is the protocol? what are her chances and what are things to watch for in her development? We love her already just want to know what may lie ahead...

Response from Dr. Cohen

Good for you!

You should be able to have her tested for HIV infection using the HIV DNA PCR (the qualitative test, not the quantitative HIV RNA PCR), which will tell you whether she is infected. As you know, the standard antibody test will be positive regardless of whether she is infected. A pediatrician familiar with HIV infection should be able to help you sort this out. The fact that she and her mother were given AZT lowers her chances of being infected significantly.

Since the odds are good that she's HIV-negative, I won't discuss the alternative. If she is positive, you'll need more information than I can give you here, and I'm no expert on little ones.

Either way, congratulations on your new daughter. I wish you well.

Previous
Traveling to Russia, any special precautions?
Next
Precautions when Hiking/Camping outdoors

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.