The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Oct 29, 1996

My family member is an Aids patient. He has been diagnosed with histoplasmostis He is on combination anti viral therapy and responding well. Will the therapy reduce the histoplasmosis or have any effect on the histo? What is the latest research and study pertaining to Aids and histo? Can the histo spread to other parts on the body such as skin or eyes?

Response from Dr. Cohen

Histoplasmosis is a fungal infection that is particularly common in the Ohio and Mississippi River Valleys. In people with AIDS it generally presents as a disseminated infection, with fevers, night sweats, weight loss, and sometimes with respiratory or neurologic symptoms.

Because you are more likely to develop disseminated histoplasmosis if your immune system isn't functioning properly, antiretroviral therapy may help. But it is also very important to receive specific therapy for the histoplasmosis, because therapy is very effective at treating the disease and keeping it from coming back. The treatment usually consists of several weeks of intravenous amphotericin B during the acute illness, followed by suppression with oral itraconazole for life. People with mild cases of histoplasmosis can sometimes be treated with itraconazole from the beginning.

Histoplasmosis can affect just about all parts of the body. Skin lesions are fairly common during the acute illness. It can also affect the eyes, although that is not as common.

aspergillus infection

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint