aw geez, Zithromax again

Hi. A bottle of the 600mg-formulation of Zithromax arrived from Stadtlanders Pharmacy today. The label still reads: DO NOT TAKE WITH FOOD. I dialed their pharmacy counseling just to double-check. The pharmacist said that as far as she knows the medication's absorption is severely limited when it is taken with food. Not to doubt you or anything but she claims her info comes from the drug's manufacturer. What is your source? I hope this isnt an impertinent question and doesn't get you cranking again but the discrepancy seems important to straighten out for those of us with few enough t-cells to have to take Zithromax prophylactically. Thanks for your patience.

Response from Dr. Cohen

I've made some goofs lately with respect to my answers on azithromycin (they've been corrected), but this wasn't one of them. The 600 mg tablet can be taken either on an empty stomach or with food. It is better tolerated with food, however.

The 250 mg capsule is taken on an empty stomach. It will probably be phased out soon, in favor of tablets.

My information comes directly from Pfizer, the manufacturer.

Valtrex vs. Zovirax
stopping prophylactic treatment