Molluscum & HIV

Dr. Gallant, I was diagnosed with molluscum about 6 years ago. The location of the molluscum was on my trunk, so it was believed to be caused by sexual intercourse. I treated it with an ointment (can't recall the name) and it disappeared. I've been tested for HIV at least three to five times since then and have been negative. My questions are: 1. Is molluscum in only found in adults with compromised immune systems? 2. Is the virus which causes molluscum a member of the Human Papilloma Virus family that is believed to cause genital warts and cervical cancer?

Response from Dr. Gallant

No, anyone can get molluscum. It just tends to be a little more widespread, chronic, and difficult to treat in HIV-infected people.

No, the virus that causes molluscum is a pox virus, and is not related to HPV.

Difference between Igg antibodies and Igm
undetected viral load and PCP