EARLY SYMPTOMS

I recently had unprotected sex with a very sexually active girl. 3 days later I began having an ocasional dull pain in my testicles. Four weeks later it developed into more of a burning in the penis and testicles. No burning while urinating. It has now been 6 weeks since the sexual encounter and I still have an ocassional burning. My doctor is stumpped and has refered me to a uroligist. I have no other symptoms, except I have recently noticed the back of my tongue has a slight white coating. I'm scared to death that this is HIV. Do these symptoms sound like HIV? Are there any other possiblities?

Response from Dr. Cohen

Pain in the testicles and burning in the penis a few days after a sexual encounter is not due to HIV. It could certainly be caused by a sexually transmitted disease, however, and so it needs to be evaluated. As for the "slight white coating" on the tongue, that's not what thrush looks like. I suspect that your tongue has always looked like that and you've only noticed it now because you're worried.

Of course, I cannot say that you didn't get HIV from that encounter, but I can say that the symptoms you're telling me about are not due to HIV.

HIV1 & HIV2; Home tests; Window period
Insertive Oral Sex Risk