The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV1 & HIV2; Home tests; Window period

Dec 6, 1996

Hi Doctor, I am hoping that you will response to my question because this situation is driving me crazy. I had protected sex with a prostitute for 30 seconds until it finally dawned on me that I was not doing the right thing. 5 seconds after I ejaculated, I put on my underwear and went to the bathroom to do the cleaning. I checked the condom and it was still on and safe. However, what scared me was that vaginal fluids (residue) that was left on the condom might have been possibly transferred to my underwear and again back to my penis when I eventually pulled my pants up. I made sure that I washed my penis in the meanwhile. (I also had shaved my penis area couple days before the incident). Anyway, I took home tests at 16 and 28 weeks and both came out to be Negative. Do you think that I am still at risk? And, Do you think that I should also be tested for HIV2 since the test only was for HIV1? Where are the places someone can get tested for both? I want to be sure that I don't have any type of HIV. Please help me. Thanks for your time and keep up the good work.

Response from Dr. Cohen

Your question sounds very familiar. I'm sure I've answered it before, or maybe these questions are all just running together in my brain. Your risk of infection was virtually non-existent and your tests confirm that you are negative. You don't need to do anything more but get on with your life.

Terrified for my family!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint