The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Would I not be in the special cases of AIDS?

Jun 14, 2001

Dear doctor,

Please answer this ASAP. I am in desperate because I heard the special cases of AIDS. A Korean doctor said he had seen the African AIDS positive case at 2 years in an AIDS magazine. So, he said the special cases of AIDS will not test positive at 6 months after an exposure. I am just single normal Korean woman. I am afraid if I will not be tested at 6 months because I dont know who are the special cases. It made me be nervous. Question : 1. What is the problem that the special cases of AIDS will not produce the AIDS antibodies at 6 months? Pls let me know the reason. 2. Would I not be in the special cases of AIDS?

I am worrying about if I will be in the special cases of AIDS since I heard it. It is hard to take the yearly testing for the rest of my life if Ill be in the special cases.

My email : Thanks & regards Christine

Response from Dr. Young

Thank you for your question, unfortunately, I am not sure the details of your query, but I will assume that you are asking about people who seroconvert long after exposure to HIV.

The vast majority of cases become antibody positive within 6 months of exposure. If you have had a possible exposure (including heterosexual intercourse) within this period of time, the best advice is to get tested. The test detects both HIV 1 and HIV-2; though there may be some lower sensitivity to detect unusual subtypes of HIV, the test can still suggest these infections too. Good luck, BY

LiPa assay??
Please answer

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint