Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Vaginal Secretions No Blood
May 25, 1997

I recently had unprotected vaginal sex with a married woman who had her tubes tied. Since pregnancy was not risk, I did not use a condom and did not consider the risk of STD's until after the foolish act was over. 4 weeks after, I tested negative for all STD's including HIV. Since my partner could not menstruate and my only exposure was vaginal fluid, should I continue to worry about disease? I did have some flu-like symptoms (fatigue, constipation, insomnia, muscle aches although no visible rash or fever) around the time of testing. I am worried SICK about being infected with HIV and I would appreciate any commentary you could provide. Thanks for your attention to this and other concerns.

Response from Dr. Cohen

I'm afraid your understanding of the female reproductive anatomy and physiology is a little off. The fact that a woman has her tubes tied has nothing to do with menstruation or risk of transmitting HIV. It simply prevents pregnancy by blocking the sperm's access to the ovaries.. Menstruation still occurs until menopause, because the hormonal cycles that cause the uterine lining to slough itself and regenerate each month still occur.

That being said, the fact is that female-to male-transmission is still much less common than male-to-female transmission in the developed world. The encounter you describe was probably low risk, but not no risk. To know for sure, you'd have to wait and get tested again.

Previous
Viral Load of 400
Next
Please no

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.