Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

can marinol help my appeitte?
Jul 22, 1997

Iam having a hard time getting and keeping a appetite I do smoke marijuana for an appetite beacuse i know for a fact it help's.My doctor doesn't think it would do me any good and she won't write me a script for marinol I believe it will help me beacuse it will stimulate my appeitte I am on azt 3tc crixivan.If she won't write me a script i will have to continue to buy it on the street's(pot) that is.It just makes me feel like a criminal.Their's bound to be a better way.Any suggestion's?

Response from Dr. Cohen

Both Megace and Marinol are FDA approved appetite stimulants. If you have a poor appetite, and especially if your lack of appetite is leading to weight loss, then it might be reasonable to try one of them. In my experience, many patients have trouble tolerating Marinol, even patients who like smoking marijuana. However, for some it can be an effective and well-tolerated appetite stimulant.

Taking Marinol is probably safer than smoking marijuana because smoking marijuana (or anything else, for that matter) has been associated with an increased risk of developing bacterial pneumonia. Furthermore, there is some evidence that people who smoke pot may be at greater risk of developing aspergillosis, a particularly nasty fungal lung infection.

I don't want to overstate the dangers of marijuana -- these risks are probably not particularly great. But the same risks do not apply to Marinol.

Keep in mind, too, that your lack of appetite may be related to your medications.

Previous
HIV-TESTOSTERONE CONNECTION
Next
Different Opions on Vitamin B-12

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.