can marinol help my appeitte?

Iam having a hard time getting and keeping a appetite I do smoke marijuana for an appetite beacuse i know for a fact it help's.My doctor doesn't think it would do me any good and she won't write me a script for marinol I believe it will help me beacuse it will stimulate my appeitte I am on azt 3tc crixivan.If she won't write me a script i will have to continue to buy it on the street's(pot) that is.It just makes me feel like a criminal.Their's bound to be a better way.Any suggestion's?

Response from Dr. Cohen

Both Megace and Marinol are FDA approved appetite stimulants. If you have a poor appetite, and especially if your lack of appetite is leading to weight loss, then it might be reasonable to try one of them. In my experience, many patients have trouble tolerating Marinol, even patients who like smoking marijuana. However, for some it can be an effective and well-tolerated appetite stimulant.

Taking Marinol is probably safer than smoking marijuana because smoking marijuana (or anything else, for that matter) has been associated with an increased risk of developing bacterial pneumonia. Furthermore, there is some evidence that people who smoke pot may be at greater risk of developing aspergillosis, a particularly nasty fungal lung infection.

I don't want to overstate the dangers of marijuana -- these risks are probably not particularly great. But the same risks do not apply to Marinol.

Keep in mind, too, that your lack of appetite may be related to your medications.

HIV-TESTOSTERONE CONNECTION
Different Opions on Vitamin B-12