The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Living after his death

Aug 14, 1996

I lived probably 10 years with a man who was HIV affected...We did'nt know it.When he get sick,he died two years after. I passed all the tests and I am negative and I can not believe it. How can it be possible? I asked the doctors and they can not answer me. I do have two girls and sometime I cam checking them if I see any symptoms. Could you give me a medical reason that I didn't be infected after several years of normal sexual activity with a HIV person?

Response from Dr. Cohen

While you are clearly very fortunate to be uninfected, it is not completely surprising. While males transmit HIV to females more easily than females do to males, it is still far from 100%. For example, in one study looking at couples in which the male was infected and the female was uninfected, transmission from male to female occured at a rate of 19 per 529 person-years. (That just means that if you multiply the number of people in the study by the number of years they were followed, it comes to 529. In that group, over that period of time, 19 women became infected by their partners). Similarly, about 20 to 25% of the wives of HIV-infected hemophiliac men are HIV-infected themselves. So while the risk to the female sexual partner of an HIV-infected man is considerable, it is not 100%. You are fortunate to have remained uninfected. There is no reason to worry about your children being infected, under the circumstances.

Do HIV tests detect HTLV-1 also?
HIV test 3 or 6 months???

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint