For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Decrease in HIV Anti-bodies also?

I'm starting a new job, and my employer's insurance carrier requires an aids test. I've been poz for about ten years, but have had an "undetectable" viral load for almost a year and a half. (Note, I would *never* consider witholding info from my new employer, but...)(1) Are aids tests still testing for hiv antibodies, and (2) Is there a decrease of hiv antibodies after a viral load goes "undetectable" for a while? Thanks a lot--you do a great service!

Response from Dr. Cohen

The test you would have as a part of the insurance evaluation would be a standard HIV serology (ELISA and Western Blot), which tests for antibodies. Even with an undetectable viral load, you would still have a positive serology.

If you test positive, that information will be known to the insurance company but it should not be shared with your employer. You are under no obligation to disclose your HIV status to your employer.

Is possible Positive PCR and Negative Western Blot?
Blood Test