The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Treatment and Tests

Mar 16, 2000

Dear Dr Cohen,

Question :

Thank you very much for your reply to my question (Treatment) on 5th March, 2000.

Since my immune system has been heavily suppressed by 350mg Cyclosporin per day, there will be too few B cells to fight against the HIV virus and hence too few antibodies will be formed and as a result, I am tested negative on the Elisa Test though I have been infected by the HIV virus. So, should I go for the Western Bloc test which tests directly for the antigen of the HIV virus even though I am tested negative using the Elisa Test.

Thank you.


Response from Dr. Cohen

You might send your question also to the testing forum - but to clarify - the western blot also looks for antibodies. What you want is a test of the virus itself - which is these days a common test called a viral load - an amount of viral RNA. There are two major ways this is tested and both are very reliable - although there are about 1-3% of people who can have a falsely positive viral load - but only when the viral load is at a very low level is it false - if it is higher than a few thousand - this tells the picture. And early after exposure to HIV - there will be so few antibodies that anyone, even those not on cyclosporin - will not have a positive elisa nor western blot. And these people use the viral load to decide about treatment.

Hope that clarifies. Good luck.

Is Interferon therapy helping my HIV??
PCR versus traditional

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint