I don't feel special!

To whom it may concern:

This month is my two year anniversary starting the HIV medications Viracept and Combivir. When I first started my t-cells were like in the single digits, now they are in the 450 to 500 range and my viral load has remained undetectable. I'm very pleased with this. I'm an avid medicine taker, I think within the the two years I've missed maybe one or two doses of my meds. I go to my Dr. every 3 months for a check up and he assures me I'm doing very well...he calls me one of the special cases because I haven't had any of the side effects some of his other patients have had. The most serious one I've had is diarrhea...but that's controllable now. Ok...so my question. I have been reading some of the other questions and it scares me to death what some of the other people are going through. I find myself going from "I'm doing pretty well", to feeling "oh shit is that going to happen to me?" Can I expect to experience some of the same effects? How long before it happens to me? My doctor has told me that it really depends on your meds...and how you take them. I guess that's why I'm such a freak about making sure I don't miss a dose. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Squires

I agree with your physician that you are fortunate that you have not experienced some of the side effects and complications that other HIV-infected individuals have. Unfortunately, there is no good answer as to whether it will "happen" to you or when. There are many unanswered questions about these syndromes, for want of a better term. There are few clues as to why some people develop problems. This may sound like hollow advice since it must be frustrating to feel like you are perhaps facing some significant problems but try to concentrate on the positive aspect of doing well for two years.

Good luck!

Kathleen E. Squires, M.D.

Viral Load Testing
combining crixivan and norvir