Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

flu shot?
Oct 9, 1996

My friend has a count of about 325 and is on AZT and DDc-this Tuesday he is scheduled to have a flu shot at his clinic and I am concerned-I have heard that these shots can be dangerous--specifically that they can stimulate the replication of HIV -also can the shot interact with the AZT/DDc?

Response from Dr. Cohen

There have been some studies that suggest that the flu shot (and perhaps other immunizations) may lead to a brief rise in HIV viral load, which theoretically could accelerate the progression of HIV disease. On the other hand, there have also been a number of other studies in which no such increase in viral load was found.

While it's certainly possible that the flu shot could cause the viral load to go up for a short time, it's also likely that actually having the flu has a much greater effect. This year, the flu is expected to be particularly nasty. Therefore, I continue to recommend the flu vaccine for my patients, especially if they have a high enough CD4 cell count to be able to respond to vaccines (above 200, for example). Patients with very low CD4 cell counts probably don't respond to the flu shot, anyway, so for them the small risk may outweigh the benefit. Of course, I try to have my patients on effective antiretroviral therapy, which should blunt any rise in viral load resulting from the vaccine.

Previous
Can a cold change non-detectable to detectable?
Next
VIRAL LOAD TEST..DOES VIRUS HIDE IN LYMPH NODES

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.