Possibly low cd4 - need to test for HIV?

Dr. Gallant, After having some gastrointestinal problems (diarrhea, gas, etc) for several months it was suspected to be Irritable Bowl Syndrome or possibly an auto-immune disorder. Many tests were done, including a CD4 immune test, but not HIV. My CD4 was 689. I am a thirty year old male. I'm not sure, but I think my physician seemed to infer that this is significantly lower than normal. We are going to run more tests, but based on this, would you consider this a low CD4 and do you think I have enough concern to include an HIV test also? Thanks for your comments,

Response from Dr. Gallant

A CD4 count of 689 is on the low end of the normal range at most laboratories. It wouldn't hurt to get an HIV test if you or your physician are worried about it, but it would not be at all unusual for an HIV-negative person to have such a CD4 count.

Necessity to do Viral Loads before Rxing a Protease Inhibitor
Are Viral load,T-cell count enough?