Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Seroconverted ~2.5 yrs ago, CD4=330, VLoad=1,000. Start treatment?
Mar 27, 1997

I'm sure you've gotten similar questions in the past, but I couldn't find an exact match to my situation among previous answers, so here goes my question: I was diagnosed HIV+ 2 mos ago and I'm 95% certain that I contracted the virus about 2 1/2 yrs ago. My doctor was a bit surprised that, even though I have a viral load of only 1,000, my CD4 cell count is 330/mm3. He says there are 3 possible reasons for the low CD4 cell count: (1) I have a strain HIV that is particularly virulent and has therefore savaged my immune system quickly, (2) I was actually infected much earlier than 2 1/2 yrs ago, or(3) I happened to have a cold or the flu on the day my bloodwork was done. I have two questions: Are my numbers really that unusual (low viral load w/ low CD4 count)? With these numbers, do you agree with the recommendation that I hit hard and early and begin triple-drug combination therapy, or should I wait until my immune system gets worse?

Response from Dr. Cohen

I don't think you're all that unusual, just lucky (to have a low viral load, that is). While most people would have a higher viral load at your CD4 count, some people settle out at relatively low counts and remain stable there, presumably because their viral load is low.

I don't think that theory #1 is likely. We generally don't see people's immune system getting rapidly "savaged" unless they have a pretty high viral load. Theories #2 and 3 are possible, but you may never know the answer, so it's best to deal with the information you have in hand.

As for what to do, it never hurts to hit hard no matter what your viral load is. It's just a little less urgent when your viral load is low. The issues of when to start and how hard to hit have been addressed in a number of recent answers, as well as in recent issues of The Hopkins HIV Report, which can be found on The Body.

Previous
HUSBANDS STATUS
Next
What is CD4/CD8 ratio mean?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.