How do I manage DR patient relationship?

I have been HIV+ for 15yrs. I have a pre existing psychiatric disability (schizo affective) making it difficult to relate to people, one of those people is my doctor. 6 months ago I was told my CD4 was 35, and my v/l was 568,000 + or - a few. I was afraid to ask what it meant so I said I would start taking the meds again. I took the Crixivan and the Combivir for 4 months thinking the nausea/vomiting, diarrhea; (the meds only made it worse), fatigue, hoping it would all go away. It didn't. I stopped the meds after I felt like I wasn't heard when I asked for help. Now I am afraid to ask for help! Do I wait until I am desperately ill to ask for help, or do I swallow my pride, and go? I am not the easiest person to manage, but I am not a bad person. The meds I listed above are not the only combination I have tried -- most meds make me sick, it has never been any other way. Sorry about the spelling. Please respond I don't know what to do! THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Response from Dr. Cohen

There is no doubt what you should do -- you need to work with a clinician who you can trust and talk with, and address what can be done with the numbers you mention. Those viral load results suggest that your HIV can grow to a very high level, and can cause a lot of damage pretty fast. And with your CD4 count -- there is also a cause to move fast, since other illnesses can show up when the number of cells is down at that level.

You shouldn't have to hide the side effects you have -- we do have options. Sometimes, however, there are a few side effects to all of our meds -- and then the partnership is even more important -- to help pick from these imperfect medications to accomplish the best we can do.

Hope that helps.

Reversal of meds side effects
Liver Toxicity