Buffalo Hump

I have developed "Buffalo Hump" on my back. It has been growing slowly for almost 2 years. Over the past 8 - 10 months, it has really bothered me, but my doctor insists that in time it will go away. He has changed my meds to....sustiva, ziagen, epivir, hivid, and I have been on these combinations for almost a year. The problem does not seem to be getting any better, as a matter of fact it seems to be growing, and at times it seems to bother me more than other times. I have scheduled an appointment for liposuction in late January, and was wondering if there has been any new development I should know of before going under the knife........Thanks

Response from Dr. Pavia

There have not been any real breakthroughs. As you know, some people improve slowly when they change from a PI to a non-nuke based regimen, but it is inconsistent. The studies on using insulin sensitizers like metformin or roziglitazone are too early to tell much. I would suggest giving a PI sparing regimen some time before "going under the knife", but if after a year you are still miserable, it may be time. Only you can decide whether the surgery is worth it to get rid of the hump.

Good luck

Andrew T. Pavia, M.D.

Giving up
Efavirenz, dizziness, and erections