HIV Intravenous drug treatments

I am trying to find out what drugs are available in an IV form so as to help me in making decisions on drug therapies and treatments. I have searched the web and am still confused on what to search for because I get so many things that do not pertain to hiv/aids or drugs. Please help.

Thank you from Alaska

Response from Dr. Pavia

The only antiretroviral that is available in an approved intravenous form is AZT (retrovir). I am not sure why you are looking for IV forms of the antiretrovirals. I can imagine that nausea or swallowing might be problems. If so, treating the nausea, or even using a feeding tube are possibilities.

One way of getting more information on the forms of the drugs is to go to the companies web site. It won't be an unbiased view, but it will provide you with the same FDA approved package insert that doctors use. Many are linked from The Body home page.

Let us know if I missed the main point of your question

regards

Andrew T. Pavia, M.D.

amprenavir (agenerase) and abacavir (ziagen) synergy
VIRUS UNDETECTABLE KS ACTIVE and DOXORUBINE