Increasingly visible veins in limbs

Since being diagnosed in 2/99 (vl.= 51,000, cd4 = 200) I have been on Sustiva, 3Tc and d4T. I am relatively happy with the combination - have remained undetectable and, until recently, have experienced few side effects. Recently, however, I have been noticing rapidly increasing visibility and protruding of veins in my arms and legs. I work out often and am able to maintain lean muscle mass, but my limbs are starting to look like a road map. This is very bothersome to me. From what I read, I believe that d4T is most likely the culprit. My two questions are these: Is it possible to change just one drug in this combination without risking the others (i.e. d4T)? If so, what would be a rational choice? Thanks for your help.

Response from Dr. Pavia

It sounds like you are experiencing some peripheral fat atrophy. You may want to have body composition measurement done with BIA to make sure that it is simply not just a very low total body fat (look at the veins on an HIV negative marathon runner or body builder sometime).

There is increasing evidence that one form of lipoatrophy may be due to nucleosides (nukes). Several studies showed some association with D4T use and lipoatrophy, but in all of those studies, D4T tended to be a marker of longer term use of nukes and often AZT had been used initially. It remains to be seen if D4T is really worse than AZT, Ziagen, ddI (videx), or 3TC (epivir).

It is increasingly clear that if you substitute one potent drug for another in a person who is undetectable, More than 95% will remain undetectable (although there are a few people who are exceptions). If you were to change, what to use? It would be reasonable to think about swapping abacavir (Ziagen) for the D4T, since if you use multiple nukes first, ziagen may not have much effect later. Will it help? I don't know and I don't think anyone does. Will it hurt? Unlikely, unless you develop hypersensitivity to Ziagen.

Good luck

Andrew T. Pavia, M.D.

At the end of my rope
sty on my eye