Concern!Sharing soap

Dr. Aberg,

My boyfriend is HIV negative and I am HIV+, I am always being very careful after sex because I do not want him to be in contact with any form of the virus (We use condoms). An example: after sex in the shower, is it safe to use the same soap bar to shower? when the soap has been in touch with my sperm? I know this sounds strage but I just want to make sure. How long does it take for the virus to die when outside the body?.

Thanks

Response from Dr. Aberg

I am glad to hear you are practicing safe sex. HIV dies relatively quickly when outside the body. You do not want to get any of your semen (sperm) on your partner's mucosal surfaces or open skin. You can use the same soap. The best thing to do in the shower is to rinse off the bar of soap after you have used it and then soap down your partner. Items you should not share are things like razors or toothbrushes where they may be in contact with blood.

Happy Showering!

Help me please!!
You're making a difference