The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

nukes non-nukes and tides

May 28, 2001

Can you explain, in simple terms, the differences between nukes, non-nukes, and nucleotide reverse transcriptase inhibitors and the mechanisms they use to stop viral replication?

Response from Dr. Young

HIV reverse transcriptase is the viral enzyme that is largely responsible for replication of the viral genes. There are three different classes of medications that inhibit the HIV reverse transcriptase.

Nucleoside RT inhibitors (nukes) are the largest class of drugs (ZDV, 3TC, d4T, ddI, ddC, abacavir). These drugs have to be activated before they can inhibit the virus. Cellular enzymes convert the drugs into a phosphorylated form called nucleotides. One investigational drug, tenofovir, comes as a phosphorylated form and as such is a nucleotide. These drugs compete with the natural substrate of RT (naturally occuring nucleotides) for binding to the active site of RT and when incorporated into the growing viral genome, prevent further addition of nucleotides.

Non-nucleosides (delaviradine, efavirenz, nevirapine) bind to a site in RT that is separate from the nukes and nucleotides. They inhibit the enzyme in a non-competitive fashion, since they don't compete with a natural substrate. By binding, the non-nukes alter the behavior of the RT, inhibiting it's normal replication function.

I need some help.. Hopefully you can anwser! thanks
Combivir/Stocrin SWITCH side effects

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint