Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hep b and liver treatment
May 27, 2001

Hello, i had hep B from an injection approximatley 25 years ago. I do not drink alcohol or use drugs anymore. But my questions to you is this. Is there anything i can do for my abused liver? Like specific vitamins ? I have minor pains rarely but fatigue is normal at this stage in life for me.I am a 49 year old white male thank you.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your question.

Hepatitis B infection usually results in symptomatic initial infection, however, the majority of patients actually are able to clear the infection (about 2/3rds). Playing the odds, I'd say there's a good chance that you have no ongoing issues with HBV.

For the other 1/3- only a minority of patients develop long term complications. Some can be serious, like liver scarring (cirrhosis).

The only way to tell which group you are in is to get medical testing. The best thing to do with a history such as yours is to avoid excessive acetominophen (Tylenol) and alchohol. There really arent any vitamins that I recommend to patients, though some have suggested roles for nutritional supplements (but insufficient clinical data to support benefit or safety).

Hope this helps. BY

Previous
Scared
Next
I need some help.. Hopefully you can anwser! thanks

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.