Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

just my facts
May 11, 2001

What do you think about these results and for the future? Was diagnosed 2/2000 with hiv - but probably positive for 3 years at that point. Tested because of an extended cold. Numbers at 2/2000 - v.l. 60,000 cd4 450. Went on sustiva & combivir 4/2000. v.l. went undetectable almost immediately. cd4 rose to 550 in 3 months and by 11/2000 was at 720. still undetectable. Stopped all meds (sustiva one day before the combivir.) 12/15/2000 - v.l. up to 1,000 - cd4 up to 760. 4/15/2001 - v.l. up to 4,500 - cd4 at 830. I feel like this first course of HAART has made my body much more able to fight things on its own for at least a little while.

Response from Dr. Young

Thank you for your question and congratulations on a great response to your initial HAART regimen.

You have clearly had a nice response to treatment, with undetectable virus in your blood and rising CD4 counts. The particular regimen that you were taking has been shown in several large studies (DMP-006, for example) to be extrememly well tolerated with excellent long-term durability.

Your overall prognosis is excellent, and I would expect that your life expectancy is measured in decades, not years. As for precise time lines, it is difficult to say, though your baseline viral load is not high (actually quite average), and your initial CD4 count good; you could expect to have a disease progession rate that is similar to the average population.

Best advice, particularly now that you're off therapy is to continue to obtain laboratory and clnical monitoring of your disease status; if your viral load were to significantly rise, or CD4 count begin to drop, you'd certainly should consider reinitiation of therapy.

hope this helps, BY

Previous
infectivity on serum
Next
Catch 22

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.