Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

whats the cause of gonorrhea
May 6, 2001

i was infected by gonorrhea. i got it from my gf. where did she got it? im positive that im the only guy in her life. after i found out that i was infected she immediately go to the doc undergo for urinalysis and they found out she has a UTI, could that be a reason? aside from that the day we make love it was also her last day of menstruation. would that also attribute? i hope u could gave me some insight where did my gf get that. tnx

Response from Dr. Aberg

Gonorrhea is caused by a bacteria named Neisseria gonorrhoeae. Humans are the only known carriers of gonorrhea. Transmission is almost always by sexual contact. Fifty percent of women will become infected after a single exposure to an infected male partner while only 20% of men become infected after a single exposure to an infected female partner

You state you are positive that your girlfriend has never had any of ther partners but you say nothing about yourself. Over 10 percent of men who are infected with gonorrhea do not know it. You may have had it and given it to your girlfriend. Then again, women can be asymptomatic carriers (meaning they don't have any symptoms) and spread the infection. It doesn't really matter at this point who gave it to who. The important thing is that you both get treated as gonorrhea can cause lots of problems if it isn't treated. It can even cause a condition in women called pelvic inflammatory disease which can lead to infertility ( no longer can have babies)

Your question also brings up a very important issue. If you got gonorrhea then you are not having safe sex. Unsafe sex can lead to pregnancy and other sexually transmitted disease including HIV. Having a sexually transmitted disease such as gonorrhea, syphilis, herpes places you at risk of acquiring HIV. One, because you are potentiially exposing yourself to someone who has HIV and two, because you may have open sores which makes it easier for the HIV to infect you. I suggest you and your partner get tested for HIV and protect each other; wear a condom.

Previous
aids in relation to dried blood
Next
genital exam

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.