Wellbutrin and Amprenavir?

Recently a psychiatrist with few HIV patients switched me to Wellbutrin after I had a severe allergic reaction to Celexa. It is really working well, but the label says not to use it with PIs. Since Amprenavir is a different class than the older Crixivan am I okay to keep the Wellbutrin? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Aberg

All of the protease inhibitors are metabolized (processed) by the liver through a pathway called the cytochrome p450 system. There are differences among the protease inhibitors in the way they are metabolized and use this sytem. Some protease inhibitors may cause more drug interactions than others. There has been one laboratory study looking at the potential for drug to drug interactions between HIV medicines and wellbutrin. This one study suggests that there may be a slight interaction between amprenavir and wellbutrin but it would be unlikely to cause a significant clinical effect. This means that it probably will not change the drug level of amprenavir or wellbutrin enough to cause you any toxicities from the medications. It also means that it is unlikely to decrease the amount of either drug so you do not have to worry that you do not have enough amprenavir in your body to fight against HIV. So, yes, it is okay to keep taking wellbutrin from a drug interaction viewpoint.

hiv/hep c-are they a disability?
Cholesterol and PI's